Friday, November 11, 2011

Track #1



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





Steve Miller Band "Greatest Hits 1974-1978" album (Capitol, 1978)

JOE KORAN: Really not much to say about this record. Steve Miller band had a lot of hits. My favorites: “The Joker” “Take the money and Run” and “Jungle Love”. Just a classic album by a classic rock band.

HAPP G: So many well known beats were sampled from this record. "Fly Like An Eagle" is such a timeless anthem!








Jay-Z "Dead Presidents" 12" single
(Roc-A-Fella, 1996)

HAPP G: I actually prefer this version to the version that's on the "Reasonable Doubt" album, I think the lyrics just kinda mesh with the vibe of the music a bit more. I love the sadness in the musical landscape, but it also has an underlying resolve to it. Plus "Ain't No Nigga" was really THE song from this single that really blew up in the streets and put a 16 year old Foxy Brown on the map. This whole musical era brings back some great memories for me, I remember on the first day of my college orientation at NYU in the summer of 1996 buying "Reasonable Doubt", "It Was Written" and "Stakes Is High" all on the same day! We don't have release dates like that anymore!







Dr. John Rawlings "One Devil And Two Beasts" album (Landmark, 1970)
 
HAPP G: This one just creeps me out all around. I much prefer the other Dr. John! I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit scared of organized religions, but this one seems especially scary given this man's aggressiveness. He sounds a lot like the drill seargent from "Full Metal Jacket", and he tries to sell the listener right away on some membership to his record club. I do think this cover is pretty badass though, with the ill color scheme and just generally crazy bold with the layout!

JOE KORAN: Well this was a really odd record for sure. Honestly who the hell would sit down and listen to this rambling by a religion sales-person. Dr Rawlings sounds more like Billy Maze than a preacher. As soon as the record begins, Dr Rawlings is attempting to promote and sell his religious following. A word of advice to Dr Rawlings, next time don’t be so pushy! The cover is really crazy and creepy at the same time. There are depictions of various stories from the book of revelations. The book of revelations is about Doomsday and the end of the world. When I saw the cover I instantly thought about the current season of “Dexter”. The serial killer in this season uses the book of revelations to justify his murders. After listening to this record I can see this connection.
 






Ice Cube "Check Yo Self (featuring Das Efx)" 12" single (Priority, 1993)
 
JOE KORAN: I was pretty pumped when I saw this record. It is a classic rare single. Im sure everyone is familiar with “Check Yo Self”. “Chickity check yo self before you wreck yo self”, a classic hip-hop lyric. The B-Side features a remix of “It Was A Good Day”. “Momma cooked the breakfast with no hog”. The original track is way better than this remix. I feel like the remix is pretty weak and does not do Ice Cube justice, he deserved a better remix.

HAPP G: I also like the album versions of the songs better than these versions, especially "Today Was A Good Day", the original just has the perfect vibe to it, while the remix feels a bit disjointed musically. But I do love the cover and this era of Ice Cube in general! This is definitely from the same photo shoot as "The Predator" cover, in which he was supposedly smoking out of DJ Muggs' skull bowl.






Cat Stevens "Tea For The Tillerman" album (A&M, 1970)
 
HAPP G: He has such a relaxing and soothing voice and presence in general, and "Wild World" is such a powerful song. He drew the cover to this record himself, and it's definitely a bit weird. I'm not sure if I like the cover or not.

JOE KORAN: Who the hell is Cat Stevens? That’s exactly what went through my mind when this record was pulled out. His name did not ring any bells, yet when I heard the song “Wild World”, which is featured on this record, I realized I did know some of Stevens’ music. “Wild World” is a really chill yet powerful song. I know I have heard the song in multiple movies, although I cannot really pin-point the exact films. The cover for the record is weird. The artwork looks like it was done by a sixth-grader. It was actually done by Stevens himself. Obviously the artwork does not matter as this record went triple platinum.






J-Zone "Music For Tu Madre" EP
(Old Maid Entertainment, 1998)
 
HAPP G: This one brings back a lot of great memories! Shout out to my boy PSK who put me on to this record early on, around '98 or '99. This is an original pressing before they repressed this ep with an official front cover. I think this record is pretty rare. J-Zone has gone on to work with Biz Markie, Tha Liks, Akinyele, King T, Masta Ace, Devin the Dude, RA The Rugged Man, Tame One, The Lonely Island, and many more, but this is the joint that started it all. There is so much hunger on this record, and the production really holds up all these years later. This established him as a legitimate triple threat; on the beats, the mic, and the turntables. Standout tracks for me are "Candy Razors" and "Catch 22". Almost everything said on "Candy Razors" is still completely relevant over a decade later, and "Catch 22" is such a great storytelling track, and I'm also a sucker for the Menace 2 Society and ODB samples! J-Zone is apparently writing a book, which if you're familiar with any of his blog or magazine writing, promises to be hilarious, controversial, and eye opening.

JOE KORAN: Why was I never informed about J-Zone?! This album is bangin from front to back! I would classify this record as a hip-hop classic. Every track has a unique sound and each beat is sick. There are a lot of interesting samples. For instance “Candy Razors”, one of my favorite tracks, samples a greek-folk music record. J-Zone rhymes about issues that are still relevant today in 2011. Any fan of hip-hop should have this record in his or her collection.







Joe Lauer Presents "Everything You Wanted To Know About The Godfather....*But Don't Ask" album (Columbia, 1972)
 
JOE KORAN: I really did not know what exactly to expect when we put this record on. Of course I am a huge fan of “The Godfather” film series, yet I was not sure how a spoof would sound on record. The record is definitely unique and has a hilarious cover, there are gangsters sitting at desks in a schoolroom as if they were waiting for first period class to begin. Another funny aspect of the record is when the Godfather goes to the psychiatrist. I think we all have wondered what would happen if a notorious film character went to the doctor for help. Overall a pretty funny record, but not necessarily one needed for your personal record collection.

HAPP G: I think there's a Woody Allen movie reference in the title of this record. This one was actually more funny than I thought it would be. Kind of speaks to the amount of impact that the film "The Godfather" had on the world in general. There's a lot of funny little visual jokes on the front cover. I also think that this record wouldn't be as funny if it wasn't recorded with a live audience present, kind of gives it a different energy.
 
 




Rahzel "All I Know" 12" single
(RCA, 1999)

JOE KORAN: I absolutely love this song. I think the first time I heard this track was on the opening credits of NBA Live 1999. After hearing it I went on Napster and downloaded the radio-edit, original and live versions of the song. At the time I was not too familiar with The Roots or Rahzel. I guess I can thank this song for putting me on to The Roots. Just a great song with unique lyrics and a bangin hook and beat.

HAPP G: Such an amazing Pete Rock production! The cover image is pretty sick too with the microchip in his neck. Designed by Drew Fitzgerald with photo images by Jonathan Mannion. This was kind of Rahzel's first major solo move after leaving The Roots and this record had a HUGE impact in New York and beyond. I remember being surprised that he actually sounded pretty good spitting lyrics on this, but I guess if you're hanging out with Black Thought, Malik B, and Dice Raw that some of that skill and style is going to leave an impression on your own approach. And the way he incorporated all his trademark vocal scratching and sound effects into the song was kind of genius!








Phil Collins "No Jacket Required" album (Atlantic, 1985)

HAPP G: It's a courageous album cover here for Phil, especially given his hairline! "Sususudio" is one of those songs that I think I hate until I hear it and then I realize how much I actually like it. It's interesting to me to note that Phil was basically using a lot of the same equipment that the hip hop world were using, but was just doing completely different stuff with it.

JOE KORAN: Honestly who doesn’t like Phil Collins? I know my dad sure does. Phil has made some classic hits. “Sussudio” is probably his best hit and one of my favorites. I always think about “American Psycho” when I hear that song.  Phil Collins is a pretty dope artist. He uses different drum kits and beat machines, which I find funny because he looks more like a bookworm than someone who makes hot beats.
 






Howie Mandel "Fits Like A Glove" album
(Warner Bros., 1986)
 
JOE KORAN: “Bobby’s World” was one of my favorite cartoon shows when I was little, so when I noticed that there was a Bobby skit on this record I knew I had to put it on. Howie Mandel is a pretty weird dude. I know he is a germ freak and doesn’t shake hands with people. I noticed this on Deal or No Deal. He goes for the fist pound over a handshake. Maybe that’s the rationale behind the album cover, where he has a rubber glove fastened over his head.

HAPP G: This album just screams '80s cocaine comedy scene' to me! The cover is also pretty hilarious, especially when you consider Howie's well known germaphobia. I used to listen to this album with my brother all the time before we'd go to bed, and it's actually pretty funny, which seems kind of surprising if you know Howie Mandel only from "America's Got Talent". And his 'Bobby' character is HILARIOUS! I think this might be the first official appearance of Bobby, but not 100% on that. There's a strange, semi-post-modern/semi-desperate moment at the end of the record when Howie speaks directly to the listening audience at home assuring us that he's receiving a standing ovation.
 






Madonna "Like A Virgin" album
(Sire, 1984)

JOE KORAN: She might be a virgin but she sure dressed like a slut. Madonna is featured on the album cover wearing little to no clothing. Pretty Ironic considering the title of the record. I don’t know many virgins that would dress like that. Then again I don’t know many virgins.

HAPP G: I really respect people who have the courage to be themselves and that force the world to meet them on their own terms, and Madonna really exemplifies this attitude. This has my all time favorite Madonna song on it, "Into The Groove", which was featured prominently in the film "Desperately Seeking Susan", which happened to be the only VHS movie that my grandparents in New York City owned, so my brother and I probably watched that movie 50 times! She definitely does not look virginal on this cover.






Agallah "Presents Crookie Monster" 12" single
(Game, 1999)

JOE KORAN: You really cant make fun of the Cookie Monster or knock his hunger, or can you? That is exactly what Agallah does on this record. Using a Sesame Street style sample for the beat, Agallah rhymes about the gangster lifestyle using a Cookie Monster sounding voice. The song is hilarious sounding, yet it does have a unique sound to it. The best part of the record is the front cover, which features a scantily clad woman in a bikini. Probably one of the better covers we have found so far.

HAPP G: This record is such a funny concept, right on the edge of being too cheesy and over the top, but I think Agallah really pulled it off. I spent a day right after college hanging out with Agallah and Scram Jones, and it was a trip! Agallah is really a character, and he's pure hip hop to the core. He has palpable passion and enthusiasm and that really comes across on all his records. He's definitely not one of these 'fake persona' artists who you meet and you're like "this is the guy from that record?!?" And this is just another one of the classic Game Recordings covers which featured half naked chicks. Game founder Jonathan Shecter is a Philly native who also was the co-founder of "The Source" magazine.







Company Flow "Funcrusher Plus" album
(Rawkus, 1997)

HAPP G: This record really jumpstarted the whole independent hip hop movement of the late 90s, and also put Rawkus Records on the map. "Bad Touch Example" is such a great first song and really sets the tone well for the rest of this album. "8 Steps To Perfection" is a timeless classic. And the cassette and vinyl-only song "Corners 94" is such a funky song, it almost sounds out of place on the rest of the record which sounds so metallic and apocolyptic to me, but it's definitely one of my favorites on here. "Lune TNS" is a frenetic celebration of graffiti culture. One of the songs that was so huge on this album was "The Fire In Which You Burn", which for some reason just never really clicked with me. I think the front cover is pretty impressive and iconic, but the back cover looks like a bad photoshop/illustration attempt to me. And there are so many phone numbers listed on the back of this record that I have the urge to call them all to see if any are still in existence. I wonder if the people with these phone numbers now know that their phone number is on the back of such an iconic underground album.

JOE KORAN: The only reason I know about Company Flow is because I own a few El-P albums. El-P sounds like a totally different rapper on this album. His voice isn’t as raspy and whiny as it is now. It also seems as though he has more interesting topics to rhyme about on this album than his more recent ones. “Funcrusher Plus” was produced by El-P and was released by Rawkus records.







Bruce Springsteen "Born In The U.S.A." album (Columbia, 1984)
 
 HAPP G: Look how young Max Weinberg and Little Steven look from this era! All of them do! It's kinda ballsy of Bruce to just show his ass on an album cover. Not sure if it is supposed to be some deep statement or a joke or just a 'kiss my ass' kind of a vibe, but pretty bold regardless. I didn't know that Annie Leibovitz took the front cover photo! When listening to this album again I'm struck by how upbeat his songs can sound musically while his lyrics can be really deep & sad. I think it kinda makes the pill of his musical message go down easier.

JOE KORAN: Damn Bruce! Why do you have to have an ass shot on the front cover!?! I really am no a huge fan of Bruce Springsteen. I know a lot of people that absolutely love him, but I just don’t get it. Yes, his songs are poetic and do have an “American Dream” feel to them I can’t argue with that. I do not understand why people are so obsessed with him. Maybe I am totally missing out on something.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment